Mackay’s Furniture One opened its doors in 1924 and is one of the oldest businesses in Griffith. Len and Phyllis Mackay were the founders of the company and ran the company until their retirement in the early 1950’s. The business was run by Bill Mackay until 1964 and then by his younger brother Don until 1977.
For a few years, the company also operated a branch store in Hillston. The store was originally located in Jondaryan Avenue across the road from the Griffith Leagues Club. The store was relocated to its existing location in the 1930’s. In 1956 the existing store was demolished and replaced with the current building.
The building has significant architectural significance as it was designed so that internal columns would be unnecessary. To achieve this design brief the ceiling needed to be much higher than in comparable commercial buildings. The roof lining, roof trusses and verandah supports are made entirely from plywood. This technology, which was groundbreaking at the time, was based on the wooden construction techniques used to create the de Havilland “Mosquito” bomber.
Paul and Maria Mackay commenced joint ownership of the company in 1999 and have recently celebrated ten years of trading. Mackay’s Furniture One is 100% locally owned as is Griffith’s longest trading furniture business. They are members of the Furniture One Buying Group, enabling them to offer a world-class selection of products at very competitive prices. Mackays also stock a huge range of the famous Lazboy recliners and lounge suites and their Lazboy Gallery is the largest in country New South Wales.